How To Follow Crochet Instructions

I saw a headband in one of the popular crochet magazines and I thought I'd give it a try.  I read through the instructions before I got started and I felt I had a pretty good understanding of what I needed to do.  I finished the base chain and row 1, everything went well. 

Then I started on row 2 and realized something was wrong and it had nothing to do with the crochet symbols, or stitches.  I did not understand what the writer was telling me to do.  No problem, I'll just read through everything again.  I did that and there were no revelations for me, nothing clicked, I read, reread, and read again.  I studied the few images that accompanied the instructions and I got nothing.  I became frustrated and angry with the person who wrote the pattern. 

Then I started to doubt myself, I couldn't sleep, it really bothered me that I couldn't figure out this pattern.  It was a rough day.  The next day I reluctantly picked up the magazine and read and reread again, this time I read the entire set of instructions.  I also examined the pictures more closely.  I finally figured it out.  I slapped myself and I continued crocheting.

My Lessons Learned: 
1).  Read the entire set of instructions from the beginning to the end
2).  Have an open mind
3).  Use the pictures as a reference
4).  Recognize that writers have their own writing style and may omit information they feel you should know
5).  Look for a similar pattern by a different writer
6).  Don't doubt yourself, keep trying
7).  Enjoy the process

No comments:

Post a Comment